Friday, July 3, 2009

focus on SatinDolly of etsy


I love SatinDolly's handmade clay flowers! She's extremely creative and very talented, and to top that off she's a joy to know! As such, I've chosen her as my first "focus on" seller. Here's a short interview I did with her to find out what makes her tick.

You can find here etsy shop here!



What was your inspiration?

As a little girl, my family and I would always take trips to go see my family in Northern California, The Grand Canyon and once a road trip to Texas. We would never travel by plane, but only by our cars. And at that time, we didn’t have cell phones, TV’s in the car or gaming systems; so I would just stare outside of my window memorizing how beautiful nature really is. I would gaze into the sky and watch the clouds form different shapes, at memorize each curve a mountain has and where shadows placed. That’s when I developed an obsession over nature beauties. I’m a huge rose lover, so making each rose by hand is a natural thing for me. Every rose I receive I sit and stare at it. Memorizing how each petal sits and how it curves, the smell, colors and texture. So when I began making roses in March 2009, it was so simple. I’ve never looked at anyone’s work on Etsy until recently. I actually had no clue if anyone had done anything like me, but it turns out that yes they do. I also love making flowers that are just different. I’m a very outgoing energetic woman that loves to wear simple but sometimes bold items. And that’s where my art comes from…me…and my visions. But I must say…my love for floral hasn’t been my passion my whole life. I actually used to hate floral on clothing, and my mother would always make me wear it. It’s probably why I now wear solid colors but use bold accessories!

What led you to sell on etsy?

In December of 2008, my dearest friend Melissa and I were discussing Christmas presents and figuring out unique items. She then told me about a necklace she had received from a friend. She bought it from artist that made an original hand painting on the back of a scrabble piece. The box the necklace came in matched the painting as well. I thought it was such a original idea. She then proceeded to tell me about how artists around the world sell their products on their website and it’s all handmade. I then opened Satin Dolly in January, but did not put anything in it until March 2009. So I owe the biggest thank you to her, for showing me a whole new world and hopefully a brighter future.

How does being a mom affect your crafty life, more time, less time etc?

I wish my day was organized in a way, to fit it all in. Because I’m a single mom, I have my daughter every day (and I wouldn’t ask for it any other way), but my day is filled with being mommy, chores, my full time job, crafting, sewing and organizing bills. I have to set myself time especially to my daughter and boyfriend, and that’s on weekends. That’s my time to relax from all the madness I go throughout the week. But I do all of this to support my little one. She’s the main reason I do this, so I can provide the important things she needs, even if I have to set aside the things I want. So all the craziness is completely worth it.

What are some other things you enjoy doing?

First and foremost I love going to Disneyland with my daughter. We have annual passes so we go all the time. Sometimes we go just to ride a few rides then we leave. I’ve loved Disneyland since I can remember, and it’s nice being able to share new memories with my little one. I also enjoy going to the beach, or even taking a drive down PCH (Pacific Coast Highway). My family has recently moved out of state so whenever they come to California, I love spending every moment with them. I have a close family so just sitting around with them watching TV is special to me. Also spending time with my boyfriend is my hobby. I love hanging out with him. I don’t think he knows it, but he’s my rock.

Art wise, I love to draw, paint and sew. December 2008 I decided I want to learn how to sew and my mom bought me a sewing machine for Christmas and now I practice every week. I started teaching myself how to draw when I was little. Remembering when I would go up North and visit my favorite cousins, I would watch my cousin Joey draw these amazing characters. I mean words can’t describe how detailed and spectacular they were. He won first place so many times for his artwork, and I remember thinking that I wanted to be that amazing at something as well.

2 comments:

  1. just dropping by to say i have enoyed my visit.. and reading your posts.

    you sound like a perfect travelling companion even since a child..

    "And at that time, we didn’t have cell phones, TV’s in the car or gaming systems; so I would just stare outside of my window memorizing how beautiful nature really is. I would gaze into the sky and watch the clouds form different shapes, at memorize each curve a mountain has and where shadows placed."

    to think how to occupy my two boys just for a short drive to the grocers can be such a challenge..

    ~Silver
    Reflections/
    One Day at a Time with Silver

    ReplyDelete