Friday, July 3, 2009

so what is this buy handmade thing anyway?



Eek! I have definitely been neglecting my blog! I've also neglected the subject of why we're here in the first place, and why I do what I do.


Why buy handmade?

I buy handmade because I know I'm getting something that was made by someone's two hands, creative mind, and caring heart. It wasn't mass produced for a big box store by either an underpaid employee in a third world country or stamped out by a machine. No one else in the world will have exactly the same earrings/vase/painting etc. I wear/use/enjoy the fruition of an individuals hard work, time, and talent.

When I buy a handmade item, I know I will get something I love while supporting the artist to do what they love. Buying handmade connects me to people. When I use my unbleached unpaper towels, I think of AthenaCreates and the lovely interaction we had.

As an independent jewelry artist, I do what I love. I get to meet people that have the same values and similar goals for the world we live in. When someone purchases one of my pieces, it isn't just a financial transaction to me, I feel honored.


Taken from buyhandmade.org:


Buying Handmade makes for better gift-giving.

The giver of a handmade gift has avoided the parking lots and long lines of the big chain stores in favor of something more meaningful. If the giver has purchased the gift, s/he feels the satisfaction of supporting an artist or crafter directly. The recipient of the handmade gift receives something that is one-of-a-kind, and made with care and attention that canbe seen and touched. It is the result of skill and craftsmanship that is absent in the world of large-scale manufacturing.

Buying handmade is better for people.

The ascendancy of chain store culture and global manufacturing has left us dressing, furnishing, and decorating alike. We are encouraged to be consumers, not producers, of our own culture. Our ties to the local and human sources of our goods have been lost. Buying handmade helps us reconnect.

Buying handmade is better for the environment.

The accumulating environmental effects of mass production are a major cause of global warming and the poisoning of our air, water and soil. Every item you make or purchase from a small-scale independent artist or crafter strikes a small blow to the forces of mass production.

You can take the pledge to buy handmade here!

No comments:

Post a Comment